- Type: Red
- Country: New Zealand
- Region: Marlborough
- Vintage: 2019
- Producer: Vavasour
- Primary grape: Pinot Noir
- Bottle size: 75cl
- List price: £14.21
- Code: 25551
- 2016, Gold Sommelier Wine Awards 2019
The product and allergen information provided has been supplied by the producer/manufacturer of the products. Matthew Clark gives no warranty or reliance as to the accuracy of the information. Although the information provided is correct at the time of publication, to ensure that you have the most up to date information please read the product label on delivery.
Sophisticated, polished, complex reds
- Can be very flexible with many cheeses including sheeps’, Morbier, Epoisse, Vacherin, Cheddar
- Lighter examples can work with some richer fish dishes
- Classic French herbs such as parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Spices should complement and not overwhelm the wine
- Game such as duck and boar. Fine cuts of beef. Lean meats such as roe deer or ostrich
- Truffle and wild mushroom, jus with redcurrant or similar fruit, Bourguignonne, Chasseur sauces
- Some wines, with light tannins, will work with lightly-spiced dishes
- Pigeon or duck, walnut and beetroot, smoked- meat salads. Truffle or wild mushroom risotto. Autumn squash
About the Wine
This fabulous red Wine produced by Vavasour is crafted in the Awatere Valley area of Marlborough. This wine is exclusive to Matthew Clark, you won't find it at multiple retailers. Available in 75cl bottles, supplied by Foley Family Vineyards. Vavasour Pinot Noir, Awatere Valley is an inspired wine, made from Pinot Noir grapes. This screwcap wine is made with added suplhites but is suitable for vegetarian drinkers. Elegant, savoury, berry-fruit flavours that are excellent with game, wild mushrooms and rich chicken and beef dishes.
A temperamental thin skinned grape and difficult to grow, when produced of any quality it demands high prices. The thin skin means it's very light in colour body and tannin, it characteristically has searing acidity and full lingering flavours of raspberry, strawberry, cherry, violets and sweet spice.
Vavasour, the first winery in the wild and windy Awatere Valley and therefore had first pick of the best-positioned vineyard sites free-draining river gravels. It is one of a limited and elite selection of New Zealand wineries that belong to the Fine Wines of New Zealand program, showcasing the most perfect wines of a given region.The Sauvignon Blanc 2017 won DWWA Global Platinum – Best Sauvignon Blanc in the world; the second time of winning this award.
Heralded as one of the best vintages of the decade, some might even say ever, 2019 has proved an excellent year for New Zealand winemakers. With optimum weather throughout the year, the wines have great fruit expression, balanced acidity, length and intensity.Explore New Zealand