- Type: Red
- Country: New Zealand
- Region: Marlborough
- Vintage: 2016
- Producer: Villa Maria
- Primary grape: Pinot Noir
- Bottle size: 75cl
- List price: £19.24
- Code: 12049
- BRONZE (2016) INTERNATIONAL WINE & SPIRIT COMPETITION 2018
- SILVER (2015) DECANTER WORLD WINE AWARDS 2018
- SILVER (2014) INTERNATIONAL WINE CHALLENGE 2017
The Product and Allergen information provided has been supplied by the Producer/Manufacturer of the products. Matthew Clark gives no warranty or reliance as to the accuracy of the information and anyone relying upon and/or using the information should satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of such information.
Sophisticated, polished, complex reds
- Can be very flexible with many cheeses including sheeps’, Morbier, Epoisse, Vacherin, Cheddar
- Lighter examples can work with some richer fish dishes
- Classic French herbs such as parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Spices should complement and not overwhelm the wine
- Game such as duck and boar. Fine cuts of beef. Lean meats such as roe deer or ostrich
- Truffle and wild mushroom, jus with redcurrant or similar fruit, Bourguignonne, Chasseur sauces
- Some wines, with light tannins, will work with lightly-spiced dishes
- Pigeon or duck, walnut and beetroot, smoked- meat salads. Truffle or wild mushroom risotto. Autumn squash
About the Wine
This red wine is made by Villa Maria in Marlborough. Elegant, savoury, berry-fruit flavours that are excellent with game, wild mushrooms and rich chicken and beef dishes. Formed from primarily Pinot Noir grapes, this wine is ethically produced. Supplied by Hatch Mansfield.
A temperamental thin skinned grape and difficult to grow, when produced of any quality it demands high prices. The thin skin means it's very light in colour body and tannin, it characteristically has searing acidity and full lingering flavours of raspberry, strawberry, cherry, violets and sweet spice.
Villa Maria, founded by Sir George Fistonich in 1961. He sold his car, took out a loan and borrowed some money from his family so that he could lease some land. His only experience was his Croatianian family made their own wine at home. He planted an acre of vines and took an oath to make the best quality wine. Now, Villa Maria is still 100% New Zealand and family owned with the title of ‘New Zealand’s Most Awarded Winery’ for over forty consecutive years. George was knighted for his efforts.
The islands here stretch nearly 1,000 miles north to south, and the climate varies from subtropical in Auckland, to positively perishing in the south. 2018 will be remembered by many wineries in here as a year for the record books.Explore New Zealand