- Type: Red
- Country: New Zealand
- Region: Marlborough
- Vintage: 2017
- Producer: Villa Maria
- Primary grape: Pinot Noir
- Bottle size: 75cl
- List price: £12.89
- Code: 17873
- 2018, Bronze Decanter World Wine Awards 2019
- 2018, Silver International Wine Challenge 2019
The product and allergen information provided has been supplied by the producer/manufacturer of the products. Matthew Clark gives no warranty or reliance as to the accuracy of the information. Although the information provided is correct at the time of publication, to ensure that you have the most up to date information please read the product label on delivery.
Sophisticated, polished, complex reds
- Can be very flexible with many cheeses including sheeps’, Morbier, Epoisse, Vacherin, Cheddar
- Lighter examples can work with some richer fish dishes
- Classic French herbs such as parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Spices should complement and not overwhelm the wine
- Game such as duck and boar. Fine cuts of beef. Lean meats such as roe deer or ostrich
- Truffle and wild mushroom, jus with redcurrant or similar fruit, Bourguignonne, Chasseur sauces
- Some wines, with light tannins, will work with lightly-spiced dishes
- Pigeon or duck, walnut and beetroot, smoked- meat salads. Truffle or wild mushroom risotto. Autumn squash
About the Wine
This wonderful red Wine created by Villa Maria is crafted in Marlborough. Available in 75cl bottles, distributed in the UK by Hatch Mansfield. Villa Maria Private Bin Pinot Noir, Marlborough is a delicious wine, made from Pinot Noir grapes. This screwcap wine is now available to order via MC Live. Elegant, savoury, berry-fruit flavours that are excellent with game, wild mushrooms and rich chicken and beef dishes.
A temperamental thin skinned grape and difficult to grow, when produced of any quality it demands high prices. The thin skin means it's very light in colour body and tannin, it characteristically has searing acidity and full lingering flavours of raspberry, strawberry, cherry, violets and sweet spice.
Villa Maria, founded by Sir George Fistonich in 1961. He sold his car, took out a loan and borrowed some money from his family so that he could lease some land. His only experience was his Croatianian family made their own wine at home. He planted an acre of vines and took an oath to make the best quality wine. Now, Villa Maria is still 100% New Zealand and family owned with the title of ‘New Zealand’s Most Awarded Winery’ for over forty consecutive years. George was knighted for his efforts.
Heralded as one of the best vintages of the decade, some might even say ever, 2019 has proved an excellent year for New Zealand winemakers. With optimum weather throughout the year, the wines have great fruit expression, balanced acidity, length and intensity.Explore New Zealand