- Type: Red
- Country: Australia
- Region: South Australia
- Vintage: 2017
- Producer: Chalk Hill
- Primary grape: Shiraz/Syrah
- Secondary grape: Barbera
- Bottle size: 75cl
- List price: £11.49
- Code: 31255
- 2017, Commended Sommelier Wine Awards 2019
The Product and Allergen information provided has been supplied by the Producer/Manufacturer of the products. Matthew Clark gives no warranty or reliance as to the accuracy of the information and anyone relying upon and/or using the information should satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of such information.
Spicy, peppery, warming reds
- Brie de Meaux, creamy blue cheeses e.g. cambozola. Emmenthal, Cheshire. Mature hard cheeses e.g. Cheddar. Munster
- Black pepper, cloves, coriander, fennel, ginger, nutmeg, paprika, rosemary, thyme
- Seared, grilled, roasted, braised game: boar, duck, goose, grouse, pheasant, venison. Beef, lamb, sausages
- BBQ, bolognese, creambased sauces, lasagna, pepper or chilli sauces to turn up the heat
- Spicy wine intensifies heat with Mexican mole, Tex-Mex or dishes with chipotle peppers, chilli con carne.
- Spicy salads that support meat or spices e.g. red pepper, black bean and sweetcorn. Stuffed aubergine
About the Wine
This super red wine by Chalk Hill is produced in the McLaren Vale area of South Australia. This wine is exclusive to Matthew Clark so you won't find it at multiple retailers. Available in 75cl bottles, imported by Chalk Hill. Chalk Hill Luna Shiraz is a delicious wine, made with Shiraz/Syrah, Grenache/Garnacha and Touriga Nacional grapes. This screwcap wine is crafted using organic practices and made to be suitable for vegan consumers; this wine contains sulphites. Spicy, rich, fruit-driven partner for bold beef and chicken dishes with hot, tangy or fruity dark sauces.
Shee-rahz / See-rah
The same grape variety, often referred to as Syrah, Old World and Shiraz, New World. It produces deep concentrated wines, full in body, alcohol and tannin. Deep almost opaque purple colour, loads of black fruit and pepper flavours and aromas. When it develops, or is of high quality it often shows notes of leather, spice, smoke and mint.
- Black Plum
- Green Peppercorn
- Milk Chocolate
Barbera produces good yields and is known for deep color, full body, low tannins and high levels of acid. There is a wide range of wines from medium bodied, fruity wines to more intense examples.
- Black Pepper
- Dried Herbs
- Tart Cherry
Recognised as a 5 star red winery in Halliday’s Wine Companion for the last 6 years, Chalk Hill is small, creating wines of real substance. Hirsch, Winemaker, focuses on producing wines which are pure, balanced and reflective of the vineyards and region they come from. Two of the vineyards are certified organic, the remaining following soon. Chalk Hill first planted Barbera in the region in 1998 and now also have Vermentino, Fiano, Tempranillo and Graciano – all show wonderful potential.
Australia is at the start of an exciting wine journey. Having been a successful wine growing country with their classic punchy style, we are now seeing more experimentation and diversity, and it's for the better.Explore Australia