- Type: Red
- Country: South Africa
- Region: Elgin Valley
- Vintage: 2013
- Producer: Shannon
- Primary grape: Merlot
- Bottle size: 75cl
- List price: £27.54
- Code: 31400
- SILVER (2013) SOMMELIER WINE AWARDS 2018
The Product and Allergen information provided has been supplied by the Producer/Manufacturer of the products. Matthew Clark gives no warranty or reliance as to the accuracy of the information and anyone relying upon and/or using the information should satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of such information.
Oaked, intense, concentrated reds
- Full-flavoured and mature cheeses e.g. Cheddar, Cheshire, Edam, Gouda. Manchego, parmesan, Pont l’Évêque
- Bay leaf, black pepper, chives, mint, nutmeg, rosemary, thyme
- Grilled, roasted, seared, braised game: boar, duck, grouse, pheasant, venison. Beef, lamb
- Full-flavoured cream- or cheese-based sauces e.g. parmesan. Intense wild mushroom, casserole or jus sauces
- Some good combinations are possible with spicy foods but careful experimentation is required
- Usually vegetables will be supporting a full-flavoured meat or dominating sauce. Hearty lentil dishes. Rich, wild mushroom dishes
About the Wine
This red wine is made by Shannon in Elgin Valley. A great choice for rich beef dishes, especially steak. Formed from primarily Merlot grapes, this wine is ethically produced. This wine is exclusive to Matthew Clark. Supplied by Shannon Vineyards.
Merlot produces medium bodied, fleshy, juicy wines with round tannins. Often seen as a single varietal, or in a blend with Cabernet Sauvignon to take the hard edges off. Its grown all over the world and commercially one of the most important red grapes in the on-trade.
Their focus on viticultural principles reflects their commitment to winemaking as an expression of terroir. The grapes come from mountain hillside vineyards; these unique vineyard sites, combined with a highly experienced viticultural team and a winemaking philosophy based on minimal intervention, produce wines with distinctive personalities.Members of the Green Mountain Eco Route, the world’s first biodiversity wine route incorporating conservation, sustainability and social mobility.
A whole generation of enthusiastic, young winemakers are crafting amazing wines on incredible sites whilst putting sustainability high on their agenda, making the South African wine industry progressive and exciting.Explore South Africa