- Type: Red
- Country: South Africa
- Region: Elgin Valley
- Vintage: 2015
- Producer: Shannon
- Primary grape: Merlot
- Bottle size: 75cl
- List price: £15.75
- Code: 31399
The Product and Allergen information provided has been supplied by the Producer/Manufacturer of the products. Matthew Clark gives no warranty or reliance as to the accuracy of the information and anyone relying upon and/or using the information should satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of such information.
Sophisticated, polished, complex reds
- Can be very flexible with many cheeses including sheeps’, Morbier, Epoisse, Vacherin, Cheddar
- Lighter examples can work with some richer fish dishes
- Classic French herbs such as parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Spices should complement and not overwhelm the wine
- Game such as duck and boar. Fine cuts of beef. Lean meats such as roe deer or ostrich
- Truffle and wild mushroom, jus with redcurrant or similar fruit, Bourguignonne, Chasseur sauces
- Some wines, with light tannins, will work with lightly-spiced dishes
- Pigeon or duck, walnut and beetroot, smoked- meat salads. Truffle or wild mushroom risotto. Autumn squash
About the Wine
This red wine is made by Shannon in Elgin Valley. A great all-rounder, as good with Mediterranean dishes as with spicy food or a Sunday roast. Formed from primarily Merlot grapes, this wine is ethically produced, vegan and vegetarian friendly. You shouldn't find this wine anywhere else, it is exclusive to Matthew Clark. Supplied by Shannon Vineyards.
Merlot produces medium bodied, fleshy, juicy wines with round tannins. Often seen as a single varietal, or in a blend with Cabernet Sauvignon to take the hard edges off. Its grown all over the world and commercially one of the most important red grapes in the on-trade.
Their focus on viticultural principles reflects their commitment to winemaking as an expression of terroir. The grapes come from mountain hillside vineyards; these unique vineyard sites, combined with a highly experienced viticultural team and a winemaking philosophy based on minimal intervention, produce wines with distinctive personalities.Members of the Green Mountain Eco Route, the world’s first biodiversity wine route incorporating conservation, sustainability and social mobility.
A whole generation of enthusiastic, young winemakers are crafting amazing wines on incredible sites whilst putting sustainability high on their agenda, making the South African wine industry progressive and exciting.Explore South Africa