- Type: Red
- Country: South Africa
- Region: Stellenbosch
- Vintage: 2017
- Producer: Kleine Zalze
- Primary grape: Merlot
- Bottle size: 75cl
- List price: £8.08
- Code: 11769
The Product and Allergen information provided has been supplied by the Producer/Manufacturer of the products. Matthew Clark gives no warranty or reliance as to the accuracy of the information and anyone relying upon and/or using the information should satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of such information.
Juicy, medium-bodied, fruit-led reds
- Cambozola & other creamy blue cheeses. Camembert, Cheddar, Cheshire, Epoisses, Gouda, parmesan, Reblochon
- Grilled fish with sauce made using similar wine e.g. salmon, sea bass or tuna with a red wine butter sauce
- Coriander, cumin, marjoram, mint, mustard, oregano, paprika, rosemary, sage, thyme
- Chicken, duck, turkey. Light beef or pheasant, dishes. Calves liver, ostrich. Smoked or cured meats, sausages
- Balsamic, BBQ, bolognese, cooked tomato sauces, lasagna, mustard sauce, truffle or wild mushroom sauces
- Moderate to hot Indian e.g. jalfrezi, Madras. Rich Chinese e.g. black bean sauce, Sichuan lamb hot pot. Harissa-spiced lamb
- Smoked and cured-meat salads, Tuscan bean salad. Lentils, roasted vegetables, vegetable risotto, roasted nuts
About the Wine
This red wine is made by Kleine Zalze in Stellenbosch. A great all-rounder, as good with Mediterranean dishes as with spicy food or a Sunday roast. Formed from primarily Merlot grapes, this wine is ethically produced. This wine is exclusive to Matthew Clark. Supplied by Hatch Mansfield.
Merlot produces medium bodied, fleshy, juicy wines with round tannins. Often seen as a single varietal, or in a blend with Cabernet Sauvignon to take the hard edges off. Its grown all over the world and commercially one of the most important red grapes in the on-trade.
The team believe the key to selling wine in the on-trade is to understand how the wine behaves on the floor and owning their own hotel/restaurant gives them opportunity to practise, they can stand alongside Matthew Clark customers and understand their work. Winemaker, Alastair Rimmer, likes the diversity that terroir affords, his focus keenly attuned to the styles of wine that work in various markets, as well as reflecting the unique, intrinsic terroir of the wines he produces
A whole generation of enthusiastic, young winemakers are crafting amazing wines on incredible sites whilst putting sustainability high on their agenda, making the South African wine industry progressive and exciting.Explore South Africa