- Type: White
- Country: South Africa
- Region: Western Cape
- Vintage: 2017/2018
- Producer: Flagstone
- Primary grape: Viognier
- Bottle size: 75cl
- List price: £10.78
- Code: 22089
The Product and Allergen information provided has been supplied by the Producer/Manufacturer of the products. Matthew Clark gives no warranty or reliance as to the accuracy of the information and anyone relying upon and/or using the information should satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of such information.
Zesty, herbaceous or aromatic whites
- High-acid cheeses such as goats’ or sheeps’ cheese e.g. crottin de Chavignol, pecorino. Lightly smoked cheese
- Calamari, cerviche. Delicate white fish e.g. sole. Fried with chips, kedgeree, mackerel, shellfish, smoked trout
- Anise, bay leaf, caraway, chervil, coriander, dill, ginger, lemongrass, mint, oregano, parsley, tarragon
- Steamed, braised chicken, pork, veal
- Light creamy herb, fishbased sauces, olive oil or light cream e.g. clam sauce. Apple with less-dry wines, tartare sauce
- Good with Thai dishes (less sweet) and moderately spiced fish and shellfish dishes e.g. fish or chicken tagine, harissa
- Asparagus, avocado, goat’s cheese, smoked-fish salads. Olives, peas, spinach, vegetarian quiches
About the Wine
This excellent white wine created by Flagstone is crafted in the Western Cape area of South Africa. Available in 75cl bottles, distributed in the UK by Accolade wines. Flagstone Word of Mouth Viognier is a delighful wine, made from Shiraz/Syrah grapes. This screwcap wine is made with added-sulphites. Wonderful fruit-driven flavours for rich seafood, tasty chicken or spicy pork dishes.
Viognier produces aromatic and sometimes exotic wines, it may be thought of as a variety that offers some the approachable rich body nature of a Chardonnay, but with a more aromatic fruity character of peach and apricot. Now widely planted, almost always dry in style.
Award-winning winemaker, Gerhard Swart, is a man in love with the complexities of simplicity. When it comes to wine, Gerhard believes in quality and distinctive character. His love of wine has seen him working across California and France, before returning to South Africa to work on Flagstone. ‘Wine should do a small, simple thing: it should add joy to life. We believe the process is extremely important; handcrafted, balanced wines can contribute joy to a meal, a conversation or even a dream.’
A whole generation of enthusiastic, young winemakers are crafting amazing wines on incredible sites whilst putting sustainability high on their agenda, making the South African wine industry progressive and exciting.Explore South Africa