Working with Matthew ClarkIf you have a question we've not answered on our FAQ page, please contact customer services.Read more
With news that the nation’s bars, pubs and restaurants are required to close their doors once more, we’ve created a list of things that may need to be done beforehand. Closing down correctly can ensure a smooth opening when the time comes, protecting your equipment and venue.
Disconnect and clean beer lines
Advice brought to you with help from Cask Marque for guidance only, please consult guidance specific to your equipment.
- Turn off the remote/flash coolers to prevent lines freezing.
- Carry out a standard line clean on all keg and cask lines.
- Once final water flush is completed, pull air through the system.
- Pull air until no further water residue comes from nozzle.
- Switch off gas bottles and any gas generation systems.
- Sanitise all equipment (hop filters, rods, tilts, couplers) and leave to air dry.
- Attach couplers to the ring main sockets.
- Cork all empty casks and hang the lines off the floor.
- Remove and clean all nozzles with warm water and air dry.
Supplier guidance documents
Clean down the premises
- Wipe down any bottles and all surfaces.
- Remove any perishable items and food that may go to waste.
- Wipe draught taps with soapy warm water.
- Sanitise bar and table tops, allow them to air dry.
- Remove any dirty cloths and linens for washing.
- Empty all bins, give them a rinse and put all bags in the bin.
- Run all equipment through the glass/dishwasher.
- Run through a typical kitchen deep-clean.
- Clean down your glass/dishwasher and drain.
- Empty, clean and turn off your ice machines.
Clean postmix equipment
(Advice for guidance only, please consult guidance specific to your equipment)
- Turn off CO2 and water supply, leave power on.
- Remove, clean and dry all dispense nozzles and diffusers.
- Clean the valves.
- Flush all drip trays with clean water.
- Refit all nozzles and diffusers – don’t leave in ‘soak’.
- Dispense heads can be turned off in the normal way.
Supplier guidance documents
Manage and secure your stock
- Take a full stock check.
- Remove short dated stock and perishable products.
- Seal open spirit bottles.
- Empty fridges, turn off and clean.
- Move stock to a secure space and secure cellar.
- Security and safety checks
- Remove all money and valuables from the site.
- Secure any outside furniture, ideally bringing it inside.
- Leave tills clearly open.
- Turn off heating and air-conditioning, disable any timers.
- Turn off water and gas mains.
- Turn off all electrics not required.
The final few things
- Make a note of all current meter readings
- Add a note to your door.
- Update your website and online listings with closed hours.
- Update answering machine, social media and email out-of-office.
- Fully secure the site and set alarms.
- Give notice to landlord or insurer that your premises will be closed.
- Rearrange any scheduled deliveries or appointments.