- Type: White
- Country: New Zealand
- Region: East Coast
- Vintage: 2017
- Producer: Villa Maria
- Primary grape: Gewürztraminer
- Bottle size: 75cl
- List price: £11.01
- Code: 10185
The Product and Allergen information provided has been supplied by the Producer/Manufacturer of the products. Matthew Clark gives no warranty or reliance as to the accuracy of the information and anyone relying upon and/or using the information should satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of such information.
Zesty, herbaceous or aromatic whites
- High-acid cheeses such as goats’ or sheeps’ cheese e.g. crottin de Chavignol, pecorino. Lightly smoked cheese
- Calamari, cerviche. Delicate white fish e.g. sole. Fried with chips, kedgeree, mackerel, shellfish, smoked trout
- Anise, bay leaf, caraway, chervil, coriander, dill, ginger, lemongrass, mint, oregano, parsley, tarragon
- Steamed, braised chicken, pork, veal
- Light creamy herb, fishbased sauces, olive oil or light cream e.g. clam sauce. Apple with less-dry wines, tartare sauce
- Good with Thai dishes (less sweet) and moderately spiced fish and shellfish dishes e.g. fish or chicken tagine, harissa
- Asparagus, avocado, goat’s cheese, smoked-fish salads. Olives, peas, spinach, vegetarian quiches
About the Wine
This white wine is made by Villa Maria in East Coast. Wonderful fruit-driven flavours for rich seafood, tasty chicken or spicy pork dishes. Formed from primarily Gewürztraminer grapes, this wine is ethically produced. Supplied by Hatch Mansfield.
Gewürztraminer is a very distinctive aromatic variety. It's often full bodied, almost oily in texture with typical tasting notes of lychees and rose and can be spicy. Sometimes off-dry it can make a delightful wine match to Asian foods. However, high alcohol can be common and too much spice can clash.
Villa Maria, founded by Sir George Fistonich in 1961. He sold his car, took out a loan and borrowed some money from his family so that he could lease some land. His only experience was his Croatianian family made their own wine at home. He planted an acre of vines and took an oath to make the best quality wine. Now, Villa Maria is still 100% New Zealand and family owned with the title of ‘New Zealand’s Most Awarded Winery’ for over forty consecutive years. George was knighted for his efforts.
The islands here stretch nearly 1,000 miles north to south, and the climate varies from subtropical in Auckland, to positively perishing in the south. 2018 will be remembered by many wineries in here as a year for the record books.Explore New Zealand