- Type: Red
- Country: New Zealand
- Region: Hawke's Bay
- Vintage: 2016
- Producer: Villa Maria
- Primary grape: Merlot
- Secondary grape: Cabernet Sauvignon
- Bottle size: 75cl
- List price: £12.02
- Code: 10029
- BRONZE (2015) INTERNATIONAL WINE CHALLENGE 2017
- SILVER (2018) INTERNATIONAL WINE CHALLENGE 2019
The Product and Allergen information provided has been supplied by the Producer/Manufacturer of the products. Matthew Clark gives no warranty or reliance as to the accuracy of the information and anyone relying upon and/or using the information should satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of such information.
Oaked, intense, concentrated reds
- Full-flavoured and mature cheeses e.g. Cheddar, Cheshire, Edam, Gouda. Manchego, parmesan, Pont l’Évêque
- Bay leaf, black pepper, chives, mint, nutmeg, rosemary, thyme
- Grilled, roasted, seared, braised game: boar, duck, grouse, pheasant, venison. Beef, lamb
- Full-flavoured cream- or cheese-based sauces e.g. parmesan. Intense wild mushroom, casserole or jus sauces
- Some good combinations are possible with spicy foods but careful experimentation is required
- Usually vegetables will be supporting a full-flavoured meat or dominating sauce. Hearty lentil dishes. Rich, wild mushroom dishes
About the Wine
This red wine is made by Villa Maria in Hawke's Bay. Ideal for partnering with full-flavoured meat dishes or those with cheese, cream or tomato sauces. Formed from primarily Merlot grapes, this wine is ethically produced. Supplied by Hatch Mansfield.
Merlot produces medium bodied, fleshy, juicy wines with round tannins. Often seen as a single varietal, or in a blend with Cabernet Sauvignon to take the hard edges off. Its grown all over the world and commercially one of the most important red grapes in the on-trade.
A full bodied and powerful grape variety with a lot of tannin. It ages very well and like Merlot is bottled as a single varietal or used to give blended wines ‘backbone’ structure and longevity. Classic flavour characteristics include blackcurrant, black cherry, green pepper, chocolate and cedar wood.
- Black Cherry
- Black Currant
- Green Peppercorn
Villa Maria, founded by Sir George Fistonich in 1961. He sold his car, took out a loan and borrowed some money from his family so that he could lease some land. His only experience was his Croatianian family made their own wine at home. He planted an acre of vines and took an oath to make the best quality wine. Now, Villa Maria is still 100% New Zealand and family owned with the title of ‘New Zealand’s Most Awarded Winery’ for over forty consecutive years. George was knighted for his efforts.
The islands here stretch nearly 1,000 miles north to south, and the climate varies from subtropical in Auckland, to positively perishing in the south. 2018 will be remembered by many wineries in here as a year for the record books.Explore New Zealand