- Type: Red
- Country: USA
- Region: California
- Vintage: 2016/2016
- Producer: The Federalist
- Primary grape: Cabernet Sauvignon
- Secondary grape: Merlot
- Bottle size: 75cl
- List price: £16.93
- Code: 29893
The Product and Allergen information provided has been supplied by the Producer/Manufacturer of the products. Matthew Clark gives no warranty or reliance as to the accuracy of the information and anyone relying upon and/or using the information should satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of such information.
Oaked, intense, concentrated reds
- Full-flavoured and mature cheeses e.g. Cheddar, Cheshire, Edam, Gouda. Manchego, parmesan, Pont l’Évêque
- Bay leaf, black pepper, chives, mint, nutmeg, rosemary, thyme
- Grilled, roasted, seared, braised game: boar, duck, grouse, pheasant, venison. Beef, lamb
- Full-flavoured cream- or cheese-based sauces e.g. parmesan. Intense wild mushroom, casserole or jus sauces
- Some good combinations are possible with spicy foods but careful experimentation is required
- Usually vegetables will be supporting a full-flavoured meat or dominating sauce. Hearty lentil dishes. Rich, wild mushroom dishes
About the Wine
This red wine is made by The Federalist in California. A great choice for rich beef dishes, especially steak. Formed from primarily Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, this wine is vegetarian and vegan friendly. This wine is exclusive to Matthew Clark. Supplied by Terlato Wines International.
Merlot produces medium bodied, fleshy, juicy wines with round tannins. Often seen as a single varietal, or in a blend with Cabernet Sauvignon to take the hard edges off. Its grown all over the world and commercially one of the most important red grapes in the on-trade.
A full bodied and powerful grape variety with a lot of tannin. It ages very well and like Merlot is bottled as a single varietal or used to give blended wines ‘backbone’ structure and longevity. Classic flavour characteristics include blackcurrant, black cherry, green pepper, chocolate and cedar wood.
- Black Cherry
- Black Currant
- Green Peppercorn
The Federalist wines celebrate and pay homage to America’s Founding Fathers – bold men of principle, who’s pioneering spirit helped make the United States the country it is today. Whilst Zinfandel is featured prominently in the range, Zinfandel flourishes in the regions of Lodi and Dry Creek Valley, Federalist wines also make Cabernet and Merlot dominated blends and a Chardonnay from Sonoma County.
The 2018 vintage was a welcome break for Californian wineries who over the last few years haven't had it easy with whole regions being threatened by the weather. Stereotyped for its big, bodied reds, there is certainly a lot more to the USA.Explore USA