- Type: Red
- Country: USA
- Region: California
- Vintage: 2016
- Producer: The Federalist
- Primary grape: Merlot
- Bottle size: 75cl
- List price: £19.87
- Code: 36506
The Product and Allergen information provided has been supplied by the Producer/Manufacturer of the products. Matthew Clark gives no warranty or reliance as to the accuracy of the information and anyone relying upon and/or using the information should satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of such information.
Oaked, intense, concentrated reds
- Full-flavoured and mature cheeses e.g. Cheddar, Cheshire, Edam, Gouda. Manchego, parmesan, Pont l’Évêque
- Bay leaf, black pepper, chives, mint, nutmeg, rosemary, thyme
- Grilled, roasted, seared, braised game: boar, duck, grouse, pheasant, venison. Beef, lamb
- Full-flavoured cream- or cheese-based sauces e.g. parmesan. Intense wild mushroom, casserole or jus sauces
- Some good combinations are possible with spicy foods but careful experimentation is required
- Usually vegetables will be supporting a full-flavoured meat or dominating sauce. Hearty lentil dishes. Rich, wild mushroom dishes
About the Wine
This wonderful red Wine from The Federalist is crafted in California. This wine is exclusive to Matthew Clark, you won't find it at multiple retailers. Available in 75cl bottles, distributed in the UK by Terlato Wines International. The Federalist Bourbon Barrel Aged Red Blend is an inviting wine, made from Merlot grapes. This wine has a cork closure and is one of a growing number in our list that can be enjoyed by vegan drinkers. Rich and heavy, great for any barbequed.
Merlot produces medium bodied, fleshy, juicy wines with round tannins. Often seen as a single varietal, or in a blend with Cabernet Sauvignon to take the hard edges off. Its grown all over the world and commercially one of the most important red grapes in the on-trade.
The Federalist wines celebrate and pay homage to America’s Founding Fathers – bold men of principle, who’s pioneering spirit helped make the United States the country it is today. Whilst Zinfandel is featured prominently in the range, Zinfandel flourishes in the regions of Lodi and Dry Creek Valley, Federalist wines also make Cabernet and Merlot dominated blends and a Chardonnay from Sonoma County.
Due to an extended, cooler growing season in 2019, grapes ripened with lower levels of sugar and a higher than average yield. The wines are full flavoured with fresh acidity and superb balance. The USA should not be overlooked for only producing full-bodied, powerful wines - there is so much more to discover beyond the stereotype.Explore USA