- Type: Red
- Country: Italy
- Region: Toscana
- Vintage: 2015
- Producer: Piccini
- Primary grape: Sangiovese
- Bottle size: 75cl
- List price: £14.68
- Code: 37562
- 2015, Silver Decanter World Wine Awards 2019
- 2015, Chianti Trophy International Wine Challenge 2019
The Product and Allergen information provided has been supplied by the Producer/Manufacturer of the products. Matthew Clark gives no warranty or reliance as to the accuracy of the information and anyone relying upon and/or using the information should satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of such information.
Juicy, medium-bodied, fruit-led reds
- Cambozola & other creamy blue cheeses. Camembert, Cheddar, Cheshire, Epoisses, Gouda, parmesan, Reblochon
- Grilled fish with sauce made using similar wine e.g. salmon, sea bass or tuna with a red wine butter sauce
- Coriander, cumin, marjoram, mint, mustard, oregano, paprika, rosemary, sage, thyme
- Chicken, duck, turkey. Light beef or pheasant, dishes. Calves liver, ostrich. Smoked or cured meats, sausages
- Balsamic, BBQ, bolognese, cooked tomato sauces, lasagna, mustard sauce, truffle or wild mushroom sauces
- Moderate to hot Indian e.g. jalfrezi, Madras. Rich Chinese e.g. black bean sauce, Sichuan lamb hot pot. Harissa-spiced lamb
- Smoked and cured-meat salads, Tuscan bean salad. Lentils, roasted vegetables, vegetable risotto, roasted nuts
About the Wine
This wonderful red wine made by Piccini is produced in the Chianti area of Toscana. This wine is exclusive to Matthew Clark meaning you won't find it at multiple retailers. Available in 75cl bottles, imported by Gestioni Piccini Srl. Poggio Cheto Chianti Classico Gran Selezione is a delighful wine, made with Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot grapes. This cork closed wine is created with added sulphites. The wine is one of a growing number in our list that can be enjoyed by vegan drinkers. Rich and intense flavours that are perfect for full-flavoured beef and pasta dishes.
At its best Sangiovese produces great wines, such as Chianti, Brunello di Montalchino as well as used in blends coined as Super Tuscans. Sangiovese is high in acidity with a sour red cherry fruit character, and sometimes quite earthy with grippy tannin.
- Roasted Tomato
- Sweet Balsamic
- Sweet Tobacco
The Piccini family live and work in the heart of Chianti. In1882, Angiolo Piccini bought seven hectares of vineyards to produce wines. Mario Piccini, fourth generation, runs one of the most distinctive, dynamic and innovative Italian estates, now converted to organic farming. Together with a selection of drought-tolerant rootstocks, lower density trellising systems, indigenous grape varieties replacing some international ones, aim at a holistic approach towards sustainability practices.
From the cool northern regions to the sizzling south of Sicily, Italy is a kaleidoscope of colours, flavours, grapes and styles from regions such as Borolo to lesser-known Montefalco and Etna.Explore Italy