- Type: Red
- Country: Australia
- Region: South Australia
- Vintage: 2015/2018
- Producer: Chalk Hill
- Primary grape: Grenache/Garnacha
- Secondary grape: Tempranillo
- Bottle size: 75cl
- List price: £13.81
- Code: 31256
- 2018, Commended Sommelier Wine Awards 2019
The Product and Allergen information provided has been supplied by the Producer/Manufacturer of the products. Matthew Clark gives no warranty or reliance as to the accuracy of the information and anyone relying upon and/or using the information should satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of such information.
Oaked, intense, concentrated reds
- Full-flavoured and mature cheeses e.g. Cheddar, Cheshire, Edam, Gouda. Manchego, parmesan, Pont l’Évêque
- Bay leaf, black pepper, chives, mint, nutmeg, rosemary, thyme
- Grilled, roasted, seared, braised game: boar, duck, grouse, pheasant, venison. Beef, lamb
- Full-flavoured cream- or cheese-based sauces e.g. parmesan. Intense wild mushroom, casserole or jus sauces
- Some good combinations are possible with spicy foods but careful experimentation is required
- Usually vegetables will be supporting a full-flavoured meat or dominating sauce. Hearty lentil dishes. Rich, wild mushroom dishes
About the Wine
This delightful red Wine from Chalk Hill is produced in the McLaren Vale area of South Australia. This wine is exclusive to Matthew Clark, you won't find it at multiple retailers. Available in 75cl bottles, supplied by Chalk Hill. Chalk Hill Grenache-Tempranillo, McLaren Vale is a mouth-watering wine, made with Grenache/Garnacha, Tempranillo and Graciano grapes. This screwcap wine is like many wines in our list, this wine is suitable for vegan diets. Rich and intense flavours that are perfect for full-flavoured beef and pasta dishes.
The grape behind Rioja and widely planted in Spain in general. Tempranillo lends itself to significant oak ageing, it tastes of ripe
strawberry, autumnal, baked, berry fruit with sweet Christmas spices.
- Sweet Tobacco
Gray-NAHSH / Ga'rr-NAH-cha
This is a sweet thin skinned grape that gives wine that is high in alcohol and full bodied, but light in colour and tannins. It's often used in blends and responds well to oak ageing.
- White Pepper
Recognised as a 5 star red winery in Halliday’s Wine Companion for the last 6 years, Chalk Hill is small, creating wines of real substance. Hirsch, Winemaker, focuses on producing wines which are pure, balanced and reflective of the vineyards and region they come from. Two of the vineyards are certified organic, the remaining following soon. Chalk Hill first planted Barbera in the region in 1998 and now also have Vermentino, Fiano, Tempranillo and Graciano – all show wonderful potential.
Australia is at the start of an exciting wine journey. Having been a successful wine growing country with their classic punchy style, we are now seeing more experimentation and diversity, and it's for the better.Explore Australia