Welcome to the Brighton blog and what better way to kick start a brand new blog than to talk about a brand new addition to the Matthew Clark range – Brighton Gin.
Fresh from the first legal distillery in Brighton & Hove, Brighton Gin has unsurprisingly become a staple in all bars in the South. Growing in popularity, not simply down to being on trend with regards to venues wanting locally sourced produce, but because of how strong the product is. The time, effort and dedication put into each bottle shows in the quality of the spirit! From filling, labelling and waxing each bottle by hand, to the care and finesse put into the distilling process, it’s no wonder that it won the Rising Star of the Year award at the 2016 International Spirits Challenge.
With more and more people opting for Gin as their drink of choice, the more competitive the Gin market has become – To put it in context, there were 233 Gin distilleries in the UK at the end of 2015, with 65 of them opening that same year! Fortunately for us G&T fans, as the competition in the market grows, so does the quality of the gin, with each distillery trying to distinguish themselves with unique botanicals and distilling methods. Kathy and Helen worked tirelessly to create a stand-out product whilst paying homage to their roots, and it’s no wonder we snapped it up and added it to our range! The citrus botanicals burst onto your palate with the coriander seed creeping in on the finish – Paired with their fantastic serves and their eye-catching retro-chic bottles, Brighton gin is quickly becoming an essential on back bars around the country.
Drinking it neat, with just ice and a twist of orange, is how many of its drinkers prefer to indulge however, it works well with a splash of quality tonic, and they recommend a slice of orange to bring out the flavour of the citrus botanicals. The perfect serve, however, is the Brighton Gin Rocktail!
The Brighton Gin Rocktail
- 25ml Brighton Gin
- 150ml Fever-Tree Tonic
- Brighton Rock
Build in a collins glass, filled with ice. Garnish with an inch of Brighton rock and enjoy!
Brighton Gin facts
- 100% British organic wheat spirit
- Known botanicals include juniper, fresh orange peel, lime peel, coriander seed and milk thistle.ABV: 40%
- ABV: 40%
- The coriander seed they use is the “first UK commercially grown coriander seed” in over 200 years.
- Milk thistle, which is indigenous to the South Downs, is renowned for its kindness to the liver function.
- The mint green colour scheme pays homage to the railings that run along Brighton Pier.
- Following on from the colour scheme, the ticket label is a tribute to the old tickets used on the famous pier.